Wedding Week

The week started with Ben and Jen arriving from Rochester (NY) around 2am Sunday morning.  They slept while we went to church and we met for breakfast.  I had a meeting and possible potluck for the CSA (Community Supported Agriculture-Blackbird Farm in Coopersville) I had joined, so I made a pasta salad, went to the meeting, and Tom, Ben, and Jen joined me there.  Jen had lots of vegetarian options, I only had to cook one dish, and very little cleanup.  A low key start to a hectic week.

Ben’s suit:  Ben ordered a suit online.  Good quality, but lots of alterations needed.  The pants weren’t hemmed, the vest was too tight to button, and the coat sleeves were too long.  I thought of buying lining and putting a gusset in the back, but that would be obvious.  Then I had the brilliant idea of taking the seven inches I cut off when I hemmed it, cutting it into 3 inch wide bias strips, and inserting a bias panel under the arms of the vest.  The fabric would match, and it would be less obvious.  It turned out well, but left little time for the coat.  Ben said just temporarily hem the sleeves, and do a “proper” job of it later.

Costco:  Our responsibilities were the rehearsal dinner and alcohol for the reception.  Two partial kegs would be ordered, Ben and Jen had bought a sangria in Rochester, and we got a variety of bottles and cans of different beers.  Also, ingredients for trail mix (a trail mix bar was the “favors”) and some candy to complement the s’mores bar, which was to replace the wedding cake.

Marshmallows:  Speaking of the s’mores bar, they also wanted some different marshmallows.  They had bought lime and lemon meringue online, but there is a local handmade marshmallow maker.  However, he was no longer selling at Fulton Street Market, but they were for sale at a store in Downtown Market.  I made a quick trip down and found they were only in 3 ounce bags!  So I made two batches of peanut butter marshmallows.  (Each batch, about 2 pounds!)  I didn’t make vegetarian, as that takes a variety of ingredients to replace the unflavored gelatin.

Camping:  We left on Thursday to camp.  Unfortunately, I had not packed the camper ahead of time, so I spent Thursday morning packing.  I have been writing lists and more lists for the last few months, so nothing (major) was forgotten.

I had told the family that came early to camp that I would provide supper, so I made a big batch of chili when we arrived.  Ben and Jen were with her family, who had also had a lot of arrivals that day.

Ben’s aunts and uncles and sister Anna all arrived Thursday, it gave us a chance to take a deep breath before the rehearsal morning.

Friday morning I made a trip to Meijer to get all the things that weren’t worth trying to transport to the campground.  A Meijer not set up in the usual layout made it a longer trip than it should have been!

Next post:  rehearsal, wedding day, and aftermath.


One thought on “Wedding Week

  1. Wow. Sounds like you had plenty to do! I can’t imagine having to alter a man’s vest – especially when it’s for the groom! Makes me thankful that all I had to do was to shorten one of the bridesmaid’s dresses – on the day of the wedding!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s